The Bank of Ayudhya was established on 27 January 1945 in Phra Nakhon Si Ayutthaya Province, the old capital of Thailand. The bank opened its doors on 1 April 1945 with registered capital of one million baht.
In 1970, the bank's head office was relocated to Ploenchit Road, coinciding with the bank's celebration of the royal appointment (garuda) emblem, granted by the king to the bank on 15 May 1970. The bank was listed on the Stock Exchange of Thailand on 26 September 1977.
On 3 January 2007, Krungsri and GE Capital became strategic partners. GE Capital and Ratanarak Group were major shareholders with a 33 percent and a 25 percent stake in BAY, respectively.
In September 2012, GE announced the sale of 7.6 percent of its stake in Krungsri via a number of block trades, reducing their ownership to 25.33 percent.
On 18 December 2013, MUFG Bank, Ltd., the wholly-owned subsidiary of Mitsubishi UFJ Financial Group (MUFG), Japan's largest banking group, replaced GE Capital as the major shareholder of Krungsri.
1222 Rama III Road, Bang Phongphang, Yan Nawa, Bangkok 10120 Thailand